At home for 5-11 11-14
What you need
- Two similar balloons
- Two sports drinks bottles
- Something to cut the ends off the bottles
- Cut the lock and screw ends off both bottles, keep the ends unlocked and stretch a balloon over each one
- Blow up one balloon a little and lock the cap. Blow up the other a lot more and lock
- Tape the caps together and unlock – air flows from the small balloon to the larger one and inflates it even more!
Results and Explanation
The small balloon’s surface is very curved, so most of the tension in the rubber squeezes down on the air, increasing its pressure. The big balloon has a flatter surface, so the tension in the rubber mostly pulls on other rubber.
These experiments have not been specifically safety tested for home use but we believe them to be safe if the instructions are followed. Adult supervision or direction is recommended as appropriate. All experiments are carried out at your own risk.