Thinking about actions to take: The Solar System and Beyond
Teaching Guidance for 11-14
There's a good chance you could improve your teaching if you were to:
- explicitly modelling the scales of objects
- drawing attentions to the different scales used in representations
- engaging the imagination so that the very real difficulties in matching the phenomena to the models are evident
Work through the Physics Narrative to find these lines of thinking worked out and then look in the Teaching Approaches for some examples of activities.
- using diagrams where multiple scales are represented uncritically
- providing too much detailed history
- treating the different models as facts
- not separating what is observed from the explanations for those observations
These difficulties are distilled from: the research findings; the practice of well-connected teachers with expertise; issues intrinsic to representing the physics well.