Thinking about actions to take: Photons Shift Energy
Teaching Guidance for 14-16
There's a good chance you could improve your teaching if you were to:
- integrating your current model of energy
- introducing a range of frequency dependent phenomena
- developing and exploiting a photon model of radiating
- linking radiating to the other three pathways (electrical, mechanical, heating by particles)
Work through the Physics Narrative to find these lines of thinking worked out and then look in the Teaching Approaches for some examples of activities.
- rehearsing the
wave–particle duality arguments of early last century
- making quantum physics too mystical
- using the photoelectric effect as the central phenomenon in introducing photons
These difficulties are distilled from: the research findings; the practice of well-connected teachers with expertise; issues intrinsic to representing the physics well.