Thinking about actions to take: Orbits and Satellites
Teaching Guidance for 11-14
There's a good chance you could improve your teaching if you were to:
- giving time to exploring the idea of a
- giving physical experiences of motion in a circle
- explicitly modelling the two dimensional motion, if you go that far
- building up to the idea of an orbit, from thrown objects, gradually increasing the launch speed
Work through the Physics Narrative to find these lines of thinking worked out and then look in the Teaching Approaches for some examples of activities.
- conflating the launching of a satellite with is orbiting
- restricting the discussion of satellites to artificial satellites
These difficulties are distilled from: the research findings; the practice of well-connected teachers with expertise; issues intrinsic to representing the physics well.