Thinking about actions to take: Non-Zero Force Changes Speed
Teaching Guidance for 11-14
There's a good chance you could improve your teaching if you were to:
- working mostly with contact forces
- emphasising the connection between resultant force and changing motion
- focusing on the forces acting on a single object before trying to predict its motion
- using only the resultant force to predict the motion
Work through the Physics Narrative to find these lines of thinking worked out and then look in the Teaching Approaches for some examples of activities.
- suggesting that force is the kind of thing that might run out
- discussing multiple objects at once
- speaking as if component forces are trying to make the object do something
These difficulties are distilled from: the research findings; the practice of well-connected teachers with expertise; issues intrinsic to representing the physics well.