Thinking about actions to take: Energy Resources and Pathways
Teaching Guidance for 11-14
There's a good chance you could improve your teaching if you were to:
- linking the discussion about the depletion of resources to the ideas of stores
- linking the distinction between renewable and non-renewable to human concerns and timescales
- clearly distinguishing between stores (joules) and pathways (watts)
Work through the Physics Narrative to find these lines of thinking worked out and then look in the Teaching Approaches for some examples of activities.
- conflating rates of power in pathways with stores of energy
- connecting together more than two stores into a chain, eg kinetic → thermal → gravitational
- talking about energy being
- developing complicated descriptions of cases of dynamic equilibrium
These difficulties are distilled from: the research findings; the practice of well-connected teachers with expertise; issues intrinsic to representing the physics well.