Thinking about actions to take: Designed Devices Switch Pathways
Teaching Guidance for 14-16
There's a good chance you could improve your teaching if you were to:
- developing physical descriptions before accounts that use energy and power
- using apparatus, words and diagrams together to develop accounts
- emphasising the practical consequences of calculations with power and energy
- putting new theoretical ideas to work to imbue them with meaning
Work through the Physics Narrative to find these lines of thinking worked out and then look in the Teaching Approaches for some examples of activities.
- replacing the physical arguments with mnemonics
- arguing about power and energy without quantifying
- conflating different steps of multistep arguments
- not making links between different devices, all of which switch power
These difficulties are distilled from: the research findings; the practice of well-connected teachers with expertise; issues intrinsic to representing the physics well.