Thinking about actions to take: Adding Elements to Circuits
Teaching Guidance for 11-14
There's a good chance you could improve your teaching if you were to:
- thinking about electrical loops
- linking what you do in setting up a loop to your reasoning about the circuit
modelto mean a toolkit for thinking with that is capable of generating predictions
- reasoning about electrical loops as complete systems
- reasoning about parallel circuits as two complete loops
- being consistent in how you draw circuits
Work through the Physics Narrative to find these lines of thinking worked out and then look in the Teaching Approaches for some examples of activities.
- using sequential models, such as donation models
- conflating energy shifting and charge flowing
These difficulties are distilled from: the research findings; the practice of well-connected teachers with expertise; issues intrinsic to representing the physics well.