Research work: sound
Classroom Activity for 5-11
What the Activity is for
Some 'finding out' to reinforce ideas on sound.
Further exploration such as for individual topic work or homework / home learning can help to extend childrens' experiences and understanding.
What to Prepare
- A curated set of appropriate research sources
What Happens During this Activity
Set a number of research tasks, each matched to the abilities and crucially, the particular interests of the children. Do bear in mind the research facilities that are likely to be available in the home, or other locations in out-of-school hours.
Here are a sample:
- Choose an animal and then find out how it makes sounds, and why it makes those sounds.
- What are the 5 most peculiar sounds you have heard? Why did you think of them as peculiar?
- What are the 5 most odd sounds that you can think of? Why are they odd?
- List 5 sounds you never expect to hear. Why do you never expect to hear them?