Properties of matter videos
Remote teaching support for 11-14 14-16 16-19
For students aged 11-14:
- You can remind students about states of matter in this short clip from the BBC. There are more in the series, which is found by searching for chemistry topics.
- The changes of state are described and linked to the changes at a particle level; as is often the case for chemistry videos, the energy references may need further explanation.
For students aged 14-16:
- There are several variations of the required practical on density that students can complete at home, but for explanations of the lab method it's worth showing them the correct equipment.
- This explanation by a teacher of the Hooke's Law practical, including key points about the experimental method, may also be useful.
- If you can cope with the American enthusiasm and accent this Crash Course on ideal gas laws is excellent. It overlaps with the content needed by older students and focuses on the relationships, not the experimental detail.
For students aged 16-19:
- It can be useful to show how properties of gases are combined with a clear diagram, summarising what students can obtain from simulations.
- Students can't use a fire piston at home but the explanation here is very helpful.