News from Wales, Scotland & Ireland
We are delighted to announce that the Welsh Government has agreed to continue funding our education projects to March 2021:
- Stimulating Physics Network Wales provides a team of professional coaches who offer free high quality and bespoke CPD to teachers of physics and their students. We are currently seeking newly qualified or nonspecialist teachers who would like support. We are also able to help with adapting to the new curriculum and providing remote support to students.
- Improving Gender Balance had a successful pilot year and is recruiting three secondary schools and their feeder primaries in South Wales for the next school year. It’s a fantastic opportunity to support teachers in developing measures to address gender stereotypes and their impact. We provide a Gender Balance Coach, who identifies areas for improvement and tailors bespoke support packages for each school.
Join these projects or find out about support in Wales by contacting Samantha Borley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
During May, 2020 we had to cancel our flagship events, the Stirling Physics Teachers Meeting and Physics Teachers Summer School. Instead, in the first four weeks after Easter over 400 teacher hours of career-long professional learning (CLPL) were delivered online!
Our team of coaches organised on average two online sessions per week including a TeachMeet, allowing teachers to share ideas, workshops on using online tools to teach physics remotely, and more informal Virtual Physics Staffroom sessions to allow isolated teachers to get together to talk physics education over a coffee.
Working in partnership with SSERC, we organised a Virtual Summer School. You can catch up with resources and videos from the
events in the TalkPhysics IOP Scotland Online CLPL group, including what would have been the opening keynote lecture at the Stirling
Meeting, A Remarkable Century of Physics, to celebrate the centenary of the IOP.
- Physics Student of the Year Award in Ireland and Northern Ireland - Would you like to reward and acknowledge the efforts of
- a special student in your class? Do you think an award could raise the profile of physics in your school? Nominate up to two students at
- Leaving Certificate or A-level. Find out more and apply.
- Teacher CPD – thank you to over 150 teachers who have attended our online CPD webinars since school closures began in March, we greatly appreciate your commitment to improving students’ online learning experiences. Teachers explored online resources such as Isaac Physics and
- the Virtual Physics Lab software to help support remote physic teaching (those attending received free access to VPLab).
- Frontiers of Physics 2020 - we made the difficult, but necessary, decision to cancel our flagship teacher event due to take place on 19 September. But it will be back, bigger and better, in September 2021!
Get in touch with your local IOP coach via email@example.com