Enrichment Activity for 5-11 11-14
- Level Elementary
What you need
- 2 lolly sticks
- A wide elastic band
- 2 smaller, narrower elastic bands
- A straw
- Wrap the wide elastic band lengthwise around one of the sticks
- Cut two short pieces of straw and place them in between the stick and elastic band - one about 3cm from each end of the stick
- Place the other stick on top of the pieces of straw. Hold the ends of both sticks together with the smaller elastic bands
- Then blow! What happens if you move the straws closer together?
Results and Explanation
Blowing through the Loud Lollies makes the elastic band vibrate and create a sound. Moving the straws closer together shortens the section of the elastic band that can vibrate, raising the pitch of the sound produced.