Enrichment Activity for 5-11 11-14
- Level Elementary
What you need
- 2 lolly sticks
- A wide elastic band
- 2 smaller, narrower elastic bands
- A straw
- Wrap the wide elastic band lengthwise around one of the sticks
- Cut two short pieces of straw and place them in between the stick and elastic band - one about 3cm from each end of the stick
- Place the other stick on top of the pieces of straw. Hold the ends of both sticks together with the smaller elastic bands
- Then blow! What happens if you move the straws closer together?
Results and Explanation
Blowing through the Loud Lollies makes the elastic band vibrate and create a sound. Moving the straws closer together shortens the section of the elastic band that can vibrate, raising the pitch of the sound produced.
These experiments have not been specifically safety tested for home use but we believe them to be safe if the instructions are followed. Adult supervision or direction is recommended as appropriate. All experiments are carried out at your own risk.