At home for 5-11 11-14
What you need
- A thin latex glove
- A straw
- A cardboard tube with open ends
- Cut a small hole in one of the fingers of the glove
- Feed the straw a small way through the hole into the glove. Seal off with tape
- Put the end of the glove over the cardboard tube and tape down the glove to the tube, making sure there are no gaps
- Pull the rest of the fingers of the glove down against the side of the tube so a tight skin is made at the end of the tube
- Blow into the straw until a sound is made. The glove should inflate
Results and Explanation
The latex glove vibrates as air flows down the tube. This creates a standing wave in the air along the length of the tube which we hear as sound.
These experiments have not been specifically safety tested for home use but we believe them to be safe if the instructions are followed. Adult supervision or direction is recommended as appropriate. All experiments are carried out at your own risk.