Enrichment Activity for 5-11 11-14
- Level Elementary
What you need
Large glass of hot water
- Two pipe cleaners
- Borax (available from most hardware shops)
- Blue food colouring
- Cut one pipe cleaner in half. Twist the two halves around the second pip cleaner to make a six pointed star.
- Twist the long point around a pencil so the star can hang from it.
- Fill a class with enough hot water so that the star will be completely covered when it's hanging from the pencil.
- Add some colouring to the water.
- Stirring, add borax to the water until no more will dissolve. This will be about 4 or 5 spoonfuls.
- Hang the star in the water and wait overnight.
Results and Explanation
A sparkly star emerges.
The rough surface of the pipe cleaners act as a nucleation site, encouraging the borax molecules to come out of solution and form crystals. They grow overnight as more and more borax molecules attach to the crystal surfaces.