Enrichment Activity for 5-11 11-14
What you need
- Empty glass jar
- Food colourings in different colours
- Fill up a jar with warm water
- In the lid, mix a few tablespoons of oil with a few drops of food colouring
- Pour this mixture into the water
- A stream of colour will now start falling down
Results and Explanation
Food colouring and oil don't mix, and as the two separate the food colouring sinks into the water, leaving trails of colours.
These experiments have not been specifically safety tested for home use but we believe them to be safe if the instructions are followed. Adult supervision or direction is recommended as appropriate. All experiments are carried out at your own risk.