Cloud in a Glass
At home for 5-11 11-14
- Level Elementary
What you need
- Pint glass
- Small bowl
- Hot water
- Aerosol spray (e.g. deodorant)
- Pour about 3cm of hot water into the glass and carefully swirl it about to warm the glass
- Put the ice in the small bowl and balance the bowl on top of the glass
- Lift the bowl and spray some deodorant into the glass, replacing the bowl quickly afterwards
- Wisps of cloud form in the glass!
Results and Explanation
Clouds form when warm, moist air cools and the water condenses into droplets. But droplets need a surface on which to form. In the atmosphere this is dust particles and in this experiment it is the aerosol particles.
These experiments have not been specifically safety tested for home use but we believe them to be safe if the instructions are followed. Adult supervision or direction is recommended as appropriate. All experiments are carried out at your own risk.