Cloud in a Glass
Enrichment Activity for 5-11 11-14
- Level Elementary
What you need
- Pint glass
- Small bowl
- Hot water
- Aerosol spray (e.g. deodorant)
- Pour about 3cm of hot water into the glass and carefully swirl it about to warm the glass
- Put the ice in the small bowl and balance the bowl on top of the glass
- Lift the bowl and spray some deodorant into the glass, replacing the bowl quickly afterwards
- Wisps of cloud form in the glass!
Results and Explanation
Clouds form when warm, moist air cools and the water condenses into droplets. But droplets need a surface on which to form. In the atmosphere this is dust particles and in this experiment it is the aerosol particles.